The Meaning of the Title

Amaurot is a utopia, written about by Sir Thomas More. It is a city of "perfection" where the residents are so trusting that "their doors have all two leaves, which, as they are easily opened, so they shut of their own accord; and, there being no property among them, every man may freely enter into any house whatsoever. At every ten years' end they shift their houses by lots..."

9.12.08

GRAMMY NOMINATIONS 2009

All right people, I know this was over a whole week ago, but bear with me here...

Personally, I thought the pre-noms were a big waste of time in an attempt by CBS to play something other than their usual moronic comedies. However, it was great fun watching Taylor Swift make a buffoon of herself on national TV, so I'm not complaining.

All in all, the performers were exceptionally terrible, other than Christina Aguilera, who stopped the show with Gershwin's aria "I Loves You, Porgy". (Click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yO4gwzCcoI to watch). Celine Dion sang relatively well with an ironic rendition of "At Seventeen" and an accent so thick I thought it was Sean Connery in drag, and the Foo Fighters MURDERED "You're So Vain".

Of course, there was the required Miley Cyrus and/or Jonas Brothers appearance to cater to those seven-year-olds, but the most annoying part of the whole show was the passing-over of talented artists to nominate no-substance "sensations". Duffy?! Jonas Brothers?! It's sad when the best nominees are Coldplay and Leona Lewis...and I was so optimistic after the great choices last year. I don't even know that I'll bother getting the album this year...

No comments: