The Meaning of the Title

Amaurot is a utopia, written about by Sir Thomas More. It is a city of "perfection" where the residents are so trusting that "their doors have all two leaves, which, as they are easily opened, so they shut of their own accord; and, there being no property among them, every man may freely enter into any house whatsoever. At every ten years' end they shift their houses by lots..."

23.12.08

Season's Greetings

Ok, maybe not Season's Greetings...that's teetering over the edge of the lame scale. But I guess I can't say "Merry Christmas" in the spirit of peace on earth and goodwill to the thin-skinned. Hmmmm - what about "Happy Holidays" (it's got alliteration going for it, anyway)? And it avoids conflict - which, as you know, is what I live for.

All right, so I'll get to the point of this extended internal/external monolgue. I cannot comprehend why anyone would have a problem with being wished a Merry Christmas (by me). I'm not forcing whatever mixed-up beliefs I have on you - I'm not asking you to get down on your knees and cry "Praise de Lord!" I'm not even mentioning religion...All I am doing is expressing a (no doubt superficial) wish that you will have a 25th of December that is full of smiles and puppydogs and snickerdoodles. (Ya, you're right, I'm such a jerk...)

Maybe I'll just hybridize and say "Happy Christmas" like the Brits.

No comments: